Friday, March 16, 2012

Small Nuggets of Joy

The natural flow of life was quickly disrupted after my husband's stroke last June.  After a month in the hospital, he still couldn't get up from a sitting position on his own.  Even a trip to the market had to be carefully planned to ensure someone remained home with him.

What a difference a few months makes. Rick still has a feeding tube, but we are working with a dietitian to gradually introduce solid foods with the goal of getting him off his liquid diet of Glucerna.  Another huge improvement is that he now gets around with the aid of a walker and manages on his own quite well.

In spite of how chaotic our lives have been these past 10 months, at least we can't complain about the weather.  We only had a few days of snow and ice this winter which makes me think we must have broken a record or two.  I mean, here we are in the middle of March and it's 78 degrees tonight. LOVE IT!


My daffodils are all in bloom and within a few days, the tulips will follow. 
 
Yesterday we had the carpeting in our living room removed and to my surprise the hard wood floors are in great shape. I took this photo moments after our handyman took it up.  It took me 2-3 weeks to rip out the carpeting in our bedroom last fall and refinish floors so imagine how thrilled I was to know all this floor will need is a good wash and wax.  Needless to say, on my way home from work tonight I'd started to make plans to work on them. When I pulled into the driveway though, my thoughts wandered off  to my flower beds and how badly they need to be rake. Okay, so I can't do it all and certainly not at one time, but I'm full of energy right now and love home projects.

By the time I changed clothes, checked the mail, and grabbed something to eat, I decide the floors could wait until morning.

A wonderful breeze was coming in from the open windows, the sky was clear and it was just too beautiful outside to waste another minute indoors.  So after supper, Rick and I went to our favorite ice cream parlor.  It was only while we were enjoying our treats that that I realized this was the first time in 10 months that he and I had gone out to "eat" together.

Okay, so this is a seemingly small and perhaps insignificant thing. It's something we've done a million times throughout our 31 years of marriage, but this has been anything but a normal year and when it comes right down to it, it's the little things like the early spring weather, the daffodils, the great hardwood floors that don't need refinishing, and the satisfaction of enjoying a dish of ice cream with my hubby that helps get us over the next hurdle.

4 comments:

Cristina Ruggiero said...

Are these "small nuggets" not the most meaningful, the most beautiful and lasting memories of our lives?? Yes indeed!! Many, many more!!!!

J D Webb said...

Here, here. Judi and I love our once a month trip to a Pizza Hut or O'Charley's for a splurge. And trips to the doctor's (at least one a week) in this weather are less stressful. Small joys make for huge victories.
Blessings.

Marta Stephens said...

Amen, sis. Amen! :)

Dave, you know all too well what it's been like. I'm glad Judy is doing well too. And yes, those were my exact thoughts when I wrote about the weather. At least Rick didn't have to go out too often in the rain or snow.

I started working on the floors this morning. Had a handful of staples to remove. I'm going over a few areas with steel wool to remove the speckles of paint left by a previous owner. I'm SO excited to get them done!!

Thank you both for stopping by. :)

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Hasn't it been amazing outside lately? We're about in the same place as you - my house is on a big hill and most of the daffs and tulips are on the north side, so we're behind you by a few weeks. But we have croci and forsythia is about to bloom. Hyacinths are coming up... it's so exciting! I planted my peas last weekend - two full weeks early. ;o) so glad you too got to go get ice cream, man, do you deserve it!